Friday, November 28, 2014

I AM NOT A COOK


They say there is a first time for everything, and frankly, I’ve become a big fan of the satisfaction and reward that comes with stepping outside of my comfort zone. In the course of one week, I tackled some necessary financial decisions, floated in a sensory deprivation tank for the first time, and faced each day of my new self-employed life with an open mind and heart, which, I am finding, takes its own brand of courage.

In spite of all this, here I was, waking up worried about a box of vegetables.
It was an uncomfortable feeling. (It was also completely ridiculous.)

I am not a cook. 

As the haze of my sleeping state wore off, I felt a sudden pang of desperation for something that I felt I didn’t possess. I desperately needed to be an inspirer of culinary creativity and genius.

The Yoga that I teach (a restorative, relaxation-style practice called Yoga Nidra) works specifically with a single, potent intention that creates a vehicle for deep inner transformation. Simply put, I’ve seen how the power of what you put after the words ‘I AM’ shapes your reality, and there was no way I was going to start my day telling myself I was NOT something.

But there’s a fine line between denial and the truth, and the truth remains that I am not a cook. I’m really not. I CAN cook, but I am not…you know… a Chef.

This eventually begged the question, “if I am not a cook, then what AM I?”

A culinary explorer? A dabbler? A creative & curious spirit?

I ventured down to the kitchen to face “The Bin.” Not even 24 hours earlier, the arrival of this cardboard box on my doorstep had given me endless excitement. I nearly hugged the delivery guy as he left, and like a kid at Christmas, I tore into the box with enough reckless abandon to keep my precious fruits & veggies unscathed.

I laid this cornucopia of organic goodness out on my counter, one by one (or two by two!)…juicy Asian Pears and Macintosh Apples, a bunch of bright yellow bananas, luscious lettuce & kale… My mouth started to water… it all seemed so easy. Just…eat it!

But no, I somehow felt I had to blow minds with my culinary prowess, effortlessly whipping up something so flavourful, yet simple to prepare, with complexity, depth and YUM Factor. I imagined my husband’s delighted face as he would savour my creation, jumping immediately to his feet and applauding the simple genius of it all…

I snapped back to reality. Sigh. If only.

Defeated by my perceived limitations, I ripped a banana from the bunch and ate it straight up.

And THAT’S where my light bulb moment happened. It was time for an honest self-chat.

First of all, I’m scarfing this banana without thinking twice, not savouring or relishing the flavours or the experience.

Second of all, look how complicated I am trying to make this whole exercise! Why try to be something that I am not?

The answer to my produce dilemma suddenly seemed simple, and admittedly, much more profound than I had anticipated:

Do what you’re already doing, but “do” less in order to enjoy it more.

Savour every part of the gift of nourishing yourself and others.

Dare to be unapologetically imperfect and enjoy the learning.

My mission was clear: I would either relish each of these tasty morsels on their own, exactly as they were, or call on my new best friend…

Our Vitamix.

The result? Simple, tasty, and oh so flavourful, with a deeper sense of respect and gratitude for every single bite.  No culinary genius needed.

I may not be a cook, but I am creative…and that is enough.


By Allison Goundry
http://allisongoundry.wordpress.com


2 comments:

medit8rgrrl said...

Juice on! Post your best blends for the rest of the organically challenged.

Unknown said...

It's heartbreaking but we're trying to get over it. As disappointed as we were, I think that somehow you have to find a way to think that it happened for a reason. See the link below for more info.


#somehow
www.ufgop.org